Weknow.ac is a browser hijacking application which changes the default search engine of the browser to a fake search engine. The motive behind changing the search engine is to promote the sponsored links of rough websites. Many of these websites are intended to scam the visitors and steal their personal information. If we go by the appearance Weknow.ac may look quite legitimate but actually, it is a recognized malware. This malware can infiltrate almost every popular browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google chrome etc and cause a great deal of nuisance for the users. That’s why it is important to remove Weknow.ac virus straight away as soon as your search engine change to weKnow.ac automatically.
The users are advised to stay away from the suspicious websites and installers to keep themselves safe from WeKnow.ac virus. Nevertheless, if your PC is already infected by WeKnow.ac then you should keep reading this post. Here, we will discuss the most convenient methods to uninstall WeKnow.ac virus.
How to Identify WeKnow.ac Virus attack?
The developers of WeKnow.ac malware tried their best to design this malware in such that it can deceive the users and remain unidentified. However, there are many common symptoms by which the user can detect Weknow.ac virus quite easily. Here are the symptoms by which we can easily identify the WeKnow.ac virus infection.
- Automatic changing of default search engine of the browser to http://WeKnow.ac.
- The home of the browser also changes to WeKnow.ac.
- Automatic opening of a new tab of the browser and launching of Weknow.ac page.
- Random installation of various add-ons and extensions in the browser.
Apart from these, if your browser starts to show other random malfunctionings then it is quite possible that there is a WeKnow.ac infection in your PC.
Weknow.ac Infiltration Technique
You must be wondering how your PC becomes vulnerable to WeKnow.ac attack. Well, the main reasons why Weknow.ac able to attack the users is lack of knowledge and awareness. The links to install Weknow.ac virus is often portrayed as the direct links to download games, videos etc. As soon as the user clicks on them they are redirected to random infectious websites that infiltrate virus in user’s PC.
Another technique by which Weknow.ac installs in the user’s devices is Software Bundling. By this technique, Weknow.ac malware is bundled with the other useful software. When a user downloads and installs the useful software the Weknow.ac virus also gets installed with the package. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to uninstall WeKnow.ac virus, so you should be very careful while downloading and installing software.
How to remove WeKnow.ac virus?
Actually, the method to eliminate WeKnow.ac virus depends upon the device and operating system you are using. The steps to remove WeKnow.ac from different devices and Operating systems are as follows:
Delete Weknow.ac from Windows
Here is how you can erase WeKnow.ac from the Windows device.
- First of all, click on the start button from the bottom of the screen.
- Click on “Control Panel” as shown in the image.
- Now, click on “Uninstall a program” from the control panel. Remember “Category view” should be active in the control panel.
- The list of all the installed programs will appear on your screen. Here, you need to look for the suspicious program or application.
- Right click on the suspicious program and click on “Uninstall/Change” to remove that application.
Get rid of WeKnow.ac from Mac OS X
In case you have WeKnow.ac browser hijacker on the Mac device of yours then you should follow the steps given below:
- Click on the “Go” button from the top left corner of the screen and choose “Applications”.
- Wait until the “Applications” folder loads and try to find the applications related to the Weknow.ac.
- Right-click on the doubtful/ suspicious application and choose “Move to Trash” option from the drop-down menu.
Now, let’s move on to the methods to eliminate WeKnow.ac from different browsers.
Erase WeKnow.ac from Internet Explorer (IE)
To remove WeKnow.ac for IE, you need to remove the potentially dangerous add-ons.
- Run Internet Explorer and click on settings gear icon from the top right corner.
- Select “Manage Add-ons” from the drop-down menu.
- Now, a list of add-ons will appear on the screen.
- Here, you can disable the potentially dangerous add-ons and extensions.
- After disabling the infected add-ons, you should reset your default homepage.
- You can change the home page using the “Internet Options” available under the IE Settings.
Eliminate WeKnow.ac from Google Chrome
To get rid of WeKnow.ac virus for the Google chrome you need to delete the malicious plugins.
- Run Chrome browser and open menu from the top right corner (three vertical dots icon).
- Click on “More Tools” options from the drop-down menu.
- Clicking on “More Tools” will open a new drop-down menu. Here, you need to click on the “Extensions”.
- Now, from the list of extensions, you should delete all the suspicious Extensions.
- Finally, we should reset your homepage as it might be changed by the “WeKnow.ac”.
Uninstall Weknow.ac from Safari
Here is how you can delete WeKnow.ac from safari with ease.
- Run Safari web browser and click on “Safari” menu from the top corner.
- Click on “Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
- Open “Extensions” tab and try to find the malicious applications.
- Click on Uninstall to remove Weknow.ac or other dangerous extensions.
- Now, open “General” tab and change your home page from the “Homepage” field.
- Finally, click on “Safari” menu once again and select “Reset Safari” open.
- Check all the options from the new window and click “Reset”.
Remove WeKnow.ac Antivirus from Mozilla Firefox
Follow the steps given below to get rid of Weknow.ac malware from the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Run “Mozilla Firefox” and open menu from the top corner (three horizontal bars stacked over each other).
- Select “Add-ons” followed by “Extensions”.
- Click on the “Remove” button against any questionable extension.
- Click on “Menu” once again and choose “Options” followed by “General” from the drop-down menu.
- Remove the malicious URL from the Home page. Alternatively, you may also click on “Restore to default”
- Finally, click on “OK” to save changes.
The Weknow.ac virus has a tendency to re-appear if it is not deleted to the core. That’s why you should not skip steps to remove WeKnow.ac virus.
Precaution is better than Cure
Although you can simply wipe out WeKnow.ac virus by the above-mentioned steps, it is a smart idea to prevent it from occurring at the first place. Here are some useful tips that can save you from Weknow.ac virus infection.
- Never click on random links available on different web pages.
- Always check the content of the software package you are installing.
- Restrict yourself from downloading random files from the torrent.
- Keep a good antivirus installed in your PC that can detect and delete WeKnow.ac virus.