Murder Setup is a recognized adware that highjacks the user’s browser to show them different unwanted ads. This virus converts the browser into an ad generating tool. It displays hundreds of advertisement most of them redirects the users to different rogue websites. These rogue websites are often responsible for stealing the visitor’s data. That’s why it is important to remove Murder Setup virus if your PC is also infected with this adware.
It is not that difficult to identify the Murder Setup Virus, as soon as you get infected by this virus your browser starts to show various malfunctioning. You start to see a discount, coupon and similar ads on the pages which used to be completely ad-free. If you want to get rid of Murder Setup Virus then you should keep reading this post as here we will discuss the easiest method of remove Murder Setup Virus.
How dangerous is Murder Setup Virus?
The Murder Setup virus comes in the category of adware which is not considered as dangerous as ransomware, trojan horses etc. Actually, the murder setup virus is not that hazardous in itself, the real risk is in the links that are promoted through the Murder setup virus. Most of these links are intended to infiltrate further malware in the user’s computer. These links can also steal your confidential data. That’s why we can say that Murder Setup is quite risky and you should remove it as soon as possible to keep your computer system safe.
Symptoms of Murder Setup virus infection
As stated earlier, it is quite easy to identify the Murder Setup Virus infection. There are many symptoms by which you can detect the Murder Setup virus easily. Some of these symptoms are as follows:
- A large number of Ads appearing on the computer screen.
- New tabs and windows opening automatically.
- Installation of random add-ons and extensions in the browser.
- The slow processing speed of your browser.
If your PC is also showing the above-mentioned symptoms then it is highly probable that your system is infected with Murder setup virus.
How to remove Murder setup virus?
If we talk about the steps to eliminate Murder Setup Virus, we can divide the complete process into 4 steps as given below:
- Locate and delete Murder Setup from the computer memory.
- Track down the startup location of Murder Setup.
- Deleting the Murder Setup traces from the Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.
- Rectifying the damages caused by the Murder Setup.
Let’s discuss these steps in details.
Step 1: Locating and deleting Murder Setup from computer memory.
In order to remove Murder Setup from Windows computer memory, you just need to follow the steps given below:
- First of all, open task manager in your Windows computer. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together to open Task Manager.
- Check and review all the process running on the computer.
- End all the process you found suspicious of Murder Setup infection.
- You should also write down the file location for the future reference.
Step 2: Track down the startup location of Murder Setup
- To track the startup location of Murder Setup you should first reveal the hidden files and folders. Follow the steps given below if you don’t know how to reveal the startup location.
- Open any folder from your Windows computer and click on “Organize” button.
- Select “Folder and Search” Options.
- Now, choose the “View” tab.
- Select “Show hidden files and folders” option.
- Make sure to uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files”
- Click on “Apply” and “Ok” button.
- Once hidden files are visible, you should clean Murder Setup virus from the Windows Registry. Here is how you can do it.
- Open “Run” Window by pressing “Windows + R” keys simultaneously.
- Type “Regedit” in the dialog box and press “Ok”.
- Now, you should navigate to the following location depending upon your operating system:
- Delete the Display Name: [Random]
- Go to windows explorer and reach the %appdata% folder and erase the Murder setup or other suspicious executables.
- Clean Murder Setup from the Host file:
Reach or navigate to the following location on your computer: %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/host
If you are hacked then you will see many unknown and foreign IP addresses at the bottom of the window. You should delete all of them except the localhost entry.
Step 3: Deleting the Murder Setup traces from the Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer
Here is how you can remove Murder Setup from the different browsers.
- Uninstall Murder Setup from Google Chrome
- First of all, run Google Chrome and select “more tools” followed by extensions in the main menu.
- Click on “Remove” button below the Murder Setup or any other extension you find suspicious.
- If you want to make sure that no trace of Murder setup remains in your Google Chrome browser then you should reset Google Chrome by deleting the current user.
- Get rid of Murder Setup from Mozilla Firefox
- To remove Murder Setup form Mozilla Firefox you need to start by pressing Ctrl + Shift + A button.
- Disable Murder Setup and other unwanted extensions.
- Open “Help” tab and click on “Troubleshoot Information”.
- Finally, Click on “Reset Firefox”.
- Remove Internet Explorer
- Go to the upper right corner of Internet Explorer and click on the settings “Gear Icon”.
- Select “Internet Options” from the drop-down menu.
- Now, go to the “Toolbars and Extensions” tab and disable all the unknown extensions.
- Open the “Advanced tab” and click on “Reset”.
This will completely reset the Internet Explorer and erase Murder Setup completely.
Step 4: Rectifying the damages caused by the Murder Setup.
After following the three steps mentioned above, you should be able to uninstall Murder setup adware. However, there are some important things that you should fix after removing Murder Setup from the PC as given below:
- The Murder setup virus can alter the DNS settings; you should fix them through the Network and Internet settings.
- Also, clean the shortcut of your browser by following the steps given below:
- Right click on the shortcut of your favorite browser and select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the target field and remove Murder setup argument field.
- Click on “Apply” and “Ok” to save changes.
Note: You have to repeat this process from different browsers if you have multiple browsers installed in your PC.
How to keep yourself safe from Murder Setup virus in future?
Here are some precautions that you may follow in order to keep Murder Setup virus at bay.
- Never install random application and software in your PC from an unknown source.
- Restrict yourself from Clicking the random ads, links or pop-up on your screen while browsing.
- Keep all the windows updates installed in your PC.
Also, keep good antimalware software in your device. This will protect your device from malware attacks in future and delete Murder Setup virus if it is already there.