The Linkey virus is basically an adware that gets installed in the browser in the form of an extension. It completely highjacks the browser and floods it with unwanted ads and other promotional stuff. No matter what browser you are using Linkey Virus can cause an immense nuisance for you. The creators of Linkey virus have designed this adware in such a way that it is fully compatible with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. The advertisements that are usually promoted by the Linkey virus often lead you to rogue websites that can be dangerous for your online security. That’s why it is very important that you remove Linkey Virus if it is already installed in your PC.
What makes Linkey adware even more devastating is that it is capable enough to target even the Mac OS users. This tutorial is going to help you a lot if you are also encountering the Linkey virus attacks. Here, we will discuss complete details related to the Linkey virus and the best method to remove them.
Symptoms of Linkey Virus
In order to get rid of Linkey adware, you may need to reset your browsers. That’s why you should be sure that your PC or Mac device is actually infected with the Linkey malware. Here are some common symptoms that are usually shown by a PC/ browser tainted by Linkey virus.
- Automatic changing of your default browser’s homepage to Linkey.
- Browser’s search provider also got changed automatically.
- Automatic installation of random add-on and extensions in your browser.
- Opening of new tabs out of nowhere with Linkey homepage.
- Flooding of the browser window with a large number of unwanted pop-ups and ads.
- Random re-direction to the suspicious websites.
If your browser is also showing the above-mentioned symptoms then that’s not a good sign. It is highly probable that your browser is infected with this adware and you should uninstall Linkey as soon as possible.
How dangerous is Linkey Adware?
Adware is generally less dangerous than the other online security threats like Viruses, Trojan horses, ransomware etc. However, if you have Linkey Adware or any other adware installed in the browser then your PC is certainly at risk of online security threats. Actually, the Linkey Adware is not that dangerous in itself but the main danger is the links that are promoted through the Linkey adware.
Users mistakenly click the malicious links promoted by Linkey and they got redirected to a loop of rogue websites. Apart from redirecting to the suspicious website, it is also reported that Linkey plug-in tracks the online activity of the users like web pages visited, browser type, Internet service providers, IP addresses etc. Tracking the web-activity is really devastating for your online privacy that’s why you should remove Linkey virus straight away to keep yourself safe.
How to remove Linkey virus?
Actually, the methods to uninstall Linkey depend upon the location where Linkey is installed. In simple words, we can say that methods to eliminate Linkey are different for various browsers and operating system. The different way to erase Linkey virus are as follows:
Uninstall Linkey Adware from Windows computer
Firstly, you should check for Linkey Adware using the control panel by following the steps given below:
- Click on the “Windows Start button” from the bottom corner of the desktop and choose “Control Panel”.
- Once the control panel window gets open you need to click on “Uninstall a Program” button available under the “Programs” category.
- Now, look for Linkey or any other suspicious application that might be installed in your PC.
- Uninstall all the applications that you find suspicious to be part of Linkey. As shown in the image given below
Please note that the above-mentioned method is for Windows 8 or 10 computers. If you are a Windows 7 or Vista user then the process is a little bit different.
Eliminating Linkey from Mac OS X
Mac OS X systems are also prone to Linkey. Here the steps you may follow in order to remove Linkey from Mac OS X.
- First of all, click on the “Go” button from the top left corner of the screen and select “Applications” from the drop-down menu.
- Look from Linkey or any other malicious application as soon as “Applications” folder gets open.
- Click the suspicious application and choose “move to trash” as shown in the figure.
Let’s move on to the most convenient methods to remove Linkey virus from different Internet browsers.
Remove Linkey virus from Google Chrome
You can simply reset your Google Chrome browser to remove Linkey and all other suspicious adware. It is very easy to reset Google Chrome; you just need to follow the steps given below:
- Open Chrome Menu by clicking three vertical dots icon from the top right corner and click “Settings”
- Click on “Advanced” link available at the bottom.
Finally, click on “Reset” and give confirmation by clicking the “Reset” button once again.
Uninstall Linkey from Mozilla Firefox
Here is how you can eliminate Linkey from the Mozilla Firefox.
- Open the Firefox menu by clicking menu icon (three horizontal bars available at the top right corner).
- Choose “Add-ons” and click on “Extensions”
- Remove “Linkey for Firefox” from the opened menu.
You may also need to change your homepage as it might be changed by Linkey
Remove Linkey Virus from Internet Explorer
If your IE browser is infected with Linkey virus then you may remove it by following the steps given below:
- Click on “Settings” gear icon from the top right corner.
- Select “Manage Add-ons” from the drop-down menu.
- Look for Linkey or other malicious application and remove it.
- Change your Home page as it might be changed to www.linkeyproject.com by Linkey virus.
Precautions to keep you safe from future Linkey virus attack
Wondering how your PC gets infected by Linkey adware and how you can prevent this in future? Well, you should have a look at the precautionary tips given below:
- Usually, the Browser Hijackers such as Linkey gets installed in the PC using the technique called Software Bundling. Software bundling means attaching Linkey with other useful software to disguise the users. You should check the complete software package before installing any software.
- Always keep good anti-malware software installed in your PC to detect Linkey virus and remove it.
- You may also opt for different adware detecting tools available online to remove Linkey virus effortlessly.