The Tik Tok ad is an extremely annoying advertisement campaign that is flooding different social media website like YouTube, Snapchat etc. This campaign promotes an application called Tik Tok. It is a Chinese app which was launched in 2016 and gained immense popularity by reaching around 500 million users worldwide. Basically, we can say that the Tik Tok application is just like Musical.ly which allow a user to create around 15 second long videos. Although Tik Tok application is very popular its advertisements are creating quite a nuisance and a lot of users want to remove Tik Tok Ads.
The problem of Tik Tok Ads is more prevalent among the Asian countries like Japan and Thailand but American users are no way immune from this error. This tutorial is going to help you understand the mechanism of Tik Tok Ads and methods to remove it.
How you are targeted by Tik Tok Ads?
None of the browsers or operating systems is completely immune to Tik Tok Ads. No matter if you are using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, iOS, Safari, macOS or windows, Tik Tok Ads can appear on your screen out of nowhere. Many users do try to report Tik Tok ads to the Google but usually, it doesn’t help them at all.
Before we move on to the methods to stop Tik Tok Ads it is important that you should know why and how you are being targeted by these Tik Tok Ads. Generally, these Ads are the result of Adware or malicious software designed to show you Tik Tok ads. These adware might be installed in your computer system.
Wondering how these adware get installed in your PC? Well, these Adware are created to disguise you. They often portrayed as useful applications such as browser add-ons, toolbar, system optimization tool etc. Users install them to improve their computer’s performance which eventually results in an increase in the number of annoying pop-ups ads, offers, deals, coupons and other unwanted ads flooding the browser completely. Overall, these adware destroys your internet browsing experience that why it is important to remove Tik Tok Ads.
ByteDance who is the creator of Tik Tok Application is spending a lot of money on its Advertisement as well. So, it is not necessary that Tik Tok Ads you are watching is essentially due to adware, but yes, it is quite possible.
Tik Tok Ads dangerous or just annoying
There isn’t any doubt that Tik Tok Ads are extremely annoying but how dangerous are they? In case the Tik Tok Ads appearing on your screen is due to a paid advertisement by ByteDance then they are not dangerous at all. However, if the ad is due to an adware then it certainly makes your computer less safe and more susceptible to online security threats.
Generally, we can say that Adware are less dangerous than other malware like viruses, Trojans etc. Nevertheless, if you have an adware installed in your PC then you should remove it immediately because the ads that an adware usually show can be dangerous. Most of the times these adware redirect you to more dangerous websites intended to infect your PC with viruses and Trojans. That’s why you should eliminate Tik Tok ads from your PC if they are coming from an adware.
How to get rid of Tik Tok Ads?
The process to remove Tik Tok Ads depends upon the particular operating system or device in which you are getting these ads regularly. Follow the steps given below in order to erase Tik Tok from your PC with ease.
Remove Tik Tok Ads in a windows computer.
- First of all, click on the start button and open “control panel”
- Open “Programs and Features”. (In case you are a Windows XP user then you need to click on “Add/ remove programs”).
- The Windows 10 or Windows 8 users can directly open the control panel through the Quick Access Menu. The Quick Access Menu can be opened by right-clicking the lower left corner of the screen. Open “Uninstall a Program” from the control panel.
- Now, you need to uninstall all the applications/ programs related to the Tik Tok. You should look for the Tik Tok or any other program that you found suspicious.
- To uninstall, you need to right-click the program and choose “Uninstall” as shown in the image.
That’s it; if the Tik Tok Ads is due to Adware in your PC then you don’t have to do anything else. Please note that this method may not stop Tik Tok Ads from YouTube or Snapchat if they are from the paid campaign.
Block Tik Tok Ads on Mac OS
If you are using a Mac device and hate Tik Tok Ads then you should follow the steps given below:
- To start with, you need to click on the “Go” button from the top left corner of the screen of your Mac OS X device.
- Click on “Applications” from the drop-down menu as shown in the image below.
- Wait from a while till the Application folder appears. Here, you should look for the Tik Tok or any other suspicious program.
- Now, Remove Tik Tok or other suspicious programs by right-clicking it and selecting “Move to Trash” option.
After operating systems, let’s move on to the steps to remove Tik Tok ads from the browsers.
Get rid of Tik Tok Ads from Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer users can block Tik Tok Ads by following the steps mentioned below:
- Run Internet Explorer and click on “Manage Add-ons” from the top.
- Now look for Tik Tok and other suspicious Add-ons and disable them.
- If your home page is changed by the Adware then you should go to settings gear icon from the top right corner and open “Internet Options”
- Change the URL and apply changes.
Remove Tik Tok Ads from Google Chrome browser.
It is quite easy to uninstall Tik Tok Ads from the Google Chrome Browser. You just need to follow the steps as follows:
- Firstly, close Google Chrome if it is already open.
- Open the following link from the Windows Explorer
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data
- Rename the Folder to “Backup Default”.
- Now, you can restart Google Chrome.
Stop Tik Tok Ads in Microsoft Edge Browser
Here are the steps by which you can Remove Tik Tok Ads in MS Edge effortlessly.
- Run MS Edge browser and click on “More” (three dots stacked over each other from the top right corner)
- Click on “Settings” to open further options
- In the settings windows, you need to click on “Choose what to clear” under “Clear browsing data”
- Select all the data what you are looking to remove and click on “Clear”.
- Now, open “Task Manager” by right clicking the start button.
- Look for “Microsoft Edge” in the processes tab.
- Right click on it and select “go to detail”.
- Find the “Microsoft Edge” entry in the details and right click on them.
- Click on “End Task”.
Eliminate Tik Tok Ads in Mozilla Firefox
Now let’s move on to the steps to remove Tik Tok Ads from Mozilla Firefox
- Run Firefox browser and open menu by clicking three horizontal bars from the corner.
- Click on “Add-ons” followed by “Extensions”.
- Look for the malicious adware /malware and remove it.
How to prevent yourself from Tik Tok Ads in the future?
One of the most common ways by which the Adware get installed in the PC is through the “Software Bundling”. Software Bundling is the practice by which marketer secretly places the adware in the installation package of the useful software. By doing so, users mistakenly install adware along with the useful programs.
To protect yourself from Software Bundling you should be very careful while installing applications from the online source. Restrict yourself from choosing “Advanced/ Custom installation mode”. You should select the “Advanced mode” and uncheck all the previously checked boxes while installing software.