McAfee is an amazing antivirus software that protects your device from any kind of threats such as virus, malware, Trojan, etc. It ensures smooth functionality of your system by removing these potential threats. However, sometimes, due to many possible reasons McAfee suddenly stops working or does not even open. This issue makes your device susceptible to damage by virus and therefore must be resolved as soon as possible. In this article, we have discussed the possible reasons behind this problem and the ways how to fix this in simple steps. In case you are also facing this issue, go through the article to fix this with great ease.
Reasons behind McAfee stopped working/ not opening issue
When the McAfee antivirus stops working, your device can freeze, crash and its other functionality can also degrade. Data theft, loss of important files, etc are other major problems that can be faced, if your antivirus stops working. There are many possible things that might have caused the McAfee not opening issue. Some of the major reasons include:
- The system drivers have corrupted.
- Any other antivirus software is installed in your device.
- There are system compatibility issues with the older version of the McAfee antivirus.
- The device is under major virus attack.
- You are using an outdated version of the McAfee software.
- Crashed system hard drive
- Missing files from the McAfee setup folder
Simple solution to the McAfee has stopped working/ not opening issue
There are certain ways to solve the stopped working or not opening issue of the McAfee antivirus. Have a look at some of the very simple steps that you can carry out on your own to resolve this issue.
- Restarting your device can sometimes fix this issue without any other additional effort.
- Check if you are not using an older version of the software. If so, update it by visiting the official website.
- Make sure that you do not have any other antivirus system running in your system. Conflicts between different antiviruses might also not allow McAfee to work properly.
- Stop any kind of background process, firewall running in your system.
- Make sure that the java script is enabled in your system.
- Install the important window updates as it can also be one of the reasons behind McAfee stopped working.
- Run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT), an automated tool that can fix many problems related to McAfee including stopped working/ not opening.
- Download all the important drivers if missing in your system.
- If nothing else works, you can try reinstalling the McAfee software in your system. To know more contact McAfee antivirus Customer Service