Window Defender is free antivirus software that Microsoft provides every windows 10 user. However, it is not considered capable of detecting the spyware and viruses as precisely as other antivirus software available in the market. Usually, window defender got turned off automatically when users install other antivirus software. It is quite possible that windows defender may still interfere with some windows operations even after getting turned off automatically by the antivirus. This is the reason why many users have to disable window defender permanently in their windows 10 computer.
If you are also looking to uninstall windows defender in windows 10 then you just need to follow the steps mentioned in this article. There are many ways by which you can disable windows defender in your windows 10 PC, in this article; we will discuss three methods of doing so i.e. by local group policy, registry, and settings app.
How to Disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy?
This method will work if you are using windows 10 pro, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education. Follow the steps mentioned below to disable window defender using Local Group Policy.
- First of all, press the windows +R key, this open the run command.
- Then type “gpedit.msc” in the run box and click “ok” in order to open the Local Group Policy.
- Now, click “computer configuration “followed by “Administrative Templates”.
- Open “windows defender” from the “windows components” folder.
- On the right side, double-click the turn off windows defender option.
- Finally, enable the turn off windows defender option and click “Apply” to disable windows defender in windows 10 PC.
It is advised that you should restart your computer after following the above-mentioned steps so that changes can take place completely.
How to Disable Windows Defender using the Registry?
In case you are using windows 10 Home, then the method to disable windows defender using local group policy will not work for you. However, you can accomplish the similar result by modifying the registry.
Note: Modify the registry can be a risky process as it can cause permanent damage to your operating system if you can’t modify the correct registry properly. So, please follow the method mentioned below very carefully without skipping any step.
- Firstly, press the Windows + R key to open the run command.
- Then in the run box type “regedit” and click ok, this will open the registry.
- Now navigate to the following path.
- Look for a registry key named as “DisableAntispyware”. If it doesn’t exist, right-click the empty space, move to new and click DWORD (32-bit Value) and name it DisableAntispyware.
- Double click the “DisableAntispyware”.
- Change the value data from 0 to 1.
- Click on “OK” to save your changes.
- Finally, restart your computer.
How to Disable Windows Defender using the Settings app?
This method will temporarily disable the windows defender in windows 10. If you are looking to permanently disable the window defender then follow the two methods mentioned above.
Follow the steps mentioned below to temporarily disable to windows defender using settings app.
- Open the settings app from your Windows 10 PC.
- Click “Update and security” followed by “Windows Defender”.
- Turn the toggle switch off just below the Real-time protection option.
Please note that these steps will disable the windows defender unless you reboot the computer. This is the most recommended method in case you do not have any other antivirus installed in your PC.
In case the above-mentioned doesn’t solve your problem or you have any query related to the methods we have provided, then you may contact windows 10 customer service department.
The experts at windows 10 customer support department are well versed in solving any kind of technical glitches related to the window’s protection. So, call Window Defender customer service phone number to get rid of all your problems now.