Microsoft Security Essential is Showing Error While Updating: Microsoft Security Essential is an antivirus software developed by Microsoft to defend windows against malware and viruses. While Microsoft security essentials are expected to be updated automatically, sometimes user have to deal with various error messages while it downloads the updates.
In case you are also facing any error message during the Microsoft security essential update, then this article can be immensely helpful for you. Here, we will discuss why Microsoft Security Essential is showing error while updating and how can we fix it?
Why is Microsoft Security Essential is showing error while updating?
The process of downloading Microsoft security essential updates depends upon the automatic windows update services. In case automatic windows update is not working properly then Microsoft security Essential will also not work properly.
So, we can say that Microsoft Security Essential will give an error in following two cases.
- If the automatic window update is not working properly.
- If Automatic Window update is working properly and the problem is with the Microsoft Security Essential itself.
Before we start to troubleshoot these problems you must make sure that your PC is connected to the internet and windows update isn’t already installing any update.
How to fix Microsoft security essential error if window update is working properly?
In case the window update is working properly then you should try to below-mentioned Solutions to fix Microsoft security essential error while updating.
Solution 1: Check for conflicting software
- It is possible that your previously installed antivirus might be causing this problem.
- Remove all the traces of your previously installed antivirus using app removal tool.
Solution 2: Remove installed Virus Definitions
- The previously installed virus definitions can also be a reason why Microsoft Security Essential is showing error while updating.
- Run the command prompt as Administrator and enter the following codes
cd “Microsoft Security Client” [cd “Windows Defender” for Windows Defender]
mpcmdrun.exe -remove definitions -all
- This will remove the installed virus definition, try to update now and see if the error persists.
Solution 3: Manually install virus Definitions
- The virus definitions are available at the official Microsoft website, sometimes the errors with Microsoft security essentials updates are fixed just by installing virus definitions manually.
Solution 4: Reinstall MSE
- If the error still persists, even after tying the above-mentioned solutions then you may completely uninstall the Microsoft security essentials and then reinstall it.
- Microsoft security essentials can be re-installed from the official Microsoft website.
How to fix Microsoft security essential error if window update is not working properly?
If you are sure that Microsoft security essential is working properly and errors are due to automatic window updates then you may try the following solutions.
Solution 1: Restart windows update service
- Open run dialog by pressing window + R key
- Enter “service.msc” and click ok.
- Now scroll down and find “Windows Update”.
- Then right-click on window update and choose “Start” or “Restart”.
Solution 2: Rename Software Distribution Folder
- First of all, stop the window update service by following the steps given in solution 1, but click “Stop” instead of start or restart.
- Open C drive followed by windows and right click software distribution folder and rename to “softwaredistribution.old” and press enter.
- Now restart windows update service as mentioned in solution 1.
Solution 3: Resetting Catroot2 Folder
- Run Command Prompt as an Administrator and enter the following code.
net stop cryptsvc
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
Note: Don’t forget to hit enter after each command.
- Now open system 32 folder under c drive and delete all content inside catroot2 folder.
- Then type the following command in the command prompt and hit enter.
net start cryptsvc
- Finally, exit the command prompt and check if the error is fixed.
Solution 4: Fixing Registry
- Click on start button from desktop and enter “regedit” in the search box.
- Now from the programs list, click regedit.exe.
- Find and choose the following registry subkey:
- Skip this solution if you don’t find the above-mentioned subkey.
- Now right click on the component and select Export.
- Type component in the file name and save the file on the desktop.
- Now in the details pane, right click PendingXmlIdentifier, NextQueueEntryIndex, AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving (whichever available) and click Delete.
- Finally, restart the computer and install the updates again.
Solution 5: Registering windows updates files
- Run command prompt as an Administrator.
- Enter the following commands in command prompt and don’t forget to press enter after every command.
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S
REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S
- Now install the updates and see if the error still persists or not.
We hope that after reading the above-mentioned solutions you will be able to fix the Microsoft Security Essential error that occurs while updating. In case the error still occurs you may contact Microsoft Security Essential support Number to get the issues resolved.